Tuesday, January 11, 2011

You grab the broom, I'll grab the Pledge.

I've realized lately that one can easily compare just about any of life's problem's to dust. It's detrimental to a person's health, you try to clean it up so that guests don't see it in your home, and much of the time, it is created by one's self and the things they surround their self with.


There is no escaping dust. It's everywhere (it's dust, dude).  Even when you find a way to get rid of it, say, by vacuuming or spraying and wiping, more of it is constantly being created.

HOWEVER...
if you don't clean it up every once in a while, it will only accumulate, and will only affect you more.  Your health will continue to deteriorate, and eventually, if someone steps into your world, it becomes obvious that you aren't doing anything to help yourself. One swipe of a finger on that bookshelf will show that guest just how little you care to fix the issue.  Once in a while you will find that kind soul who wants to help, and will clean everything up for you.

Now here is where it gets tricky.  Dust can hide in all sorts of places, say, under that great big entertainment center in your house.  It's a fabulous entertainment center, and it really impresses your friends, including your new housekeeper and good friend Pepita (before anyone starts getting worked up about stereotypes, please know that Pepita in this case is from Denver.  She just moved here and cleans a few houses for a reasonable rate when she's not studying nursing at Concordia University). You can't ignore the mess under the TV forever, and poor Pepita has been cleaning your house all day and she needs some help lifting that big fucker so that the floor underneath can be swept and you don't have to worry about that nasty stuff affecting your sinuses anymore.  You can either lend a hand and help her help you, or you can tell her to do her job and finish cleaning YOUR house on her own, since that's what you're paying her seven fifty an hour to do anyway.


Or, I suppose, the last option, which is the metaphor I usually wind up applying in my own life, is to tell her "Oh, I don't really care if that gets cleaned under.  Eventually I'll move and that won't be my problem anymore."  Apparently I want allergies for the rest of my life.  Sweet.

I guess what I'm getting at is another thing I'm learning from life:  You will always have friends who want to help you, and that is wonderful, but you can't expect them to do everything for you.  I have a tendency to be a whiny brat about my personal life and expect a solution to fall into my lap whenever someone shows in interest in what is going on with me.  It's a nasty trait, and I'm working on it.  I actually had a friend actively sit down with me and try to help me figure out, on paper even, what my goals and wants are in life.  What a good friend, right?  And I've really not done all that much about it.  Until I do, the dust pile continues to grow, and I will be a sneezy little V.

There be my two cents on people such as myself who have trouble working their own shit out.  Some friends are really great and will keep doing these things for you over and over, but sooner or later Pepita's going to throw her back out, and you're either going to have to lift that entertainment center on your own, or find a new housekeeper who doesn't have important shit to do, like studying for their nursing exams on Monday, and how the fuck are they supposed to sit through five hours with a back like that and expect to do well?

If this became a little nonsensical, it's the sleep deprivation, and the lack of a desire to go back and make changes to anything.  But hopefully someone gets what I'm saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment